Sunday, April 6, 2014

Who the H*** Do I Think I Am?

Greetings and salutations, fellow castaways on the Distant Shores of our collective mind.

It's been three years since I started my blog, and I feel a need to let everyone know a few things about it.

First off: I was told I needed a blog, as a published writer. And the person who gave me that advice was 100% right. I do need a blog. But not necessarily for the reasons this person cited.

Second: I was told that my blog was a tool for selling books. I hedge a bit at that, because let's face it: we all get bombarded all day, every day, with someone else trying to sell us something. I don't know about you, but I am so "commercialed out," the last damned thing I want to do once a week is trip over someone else's commercial. So although I'd love people to read and enjoy my books (as many have), I think I'd rather not spam you guys, if that's all right. So my blog is NOT about selling books. Is that okay?

Once, I took a strong stance on a subject that was considered controversial. I was called out by one of my viewers (who for some reason chose to remain anonymous) who told me to shut up and sell books. No one was interested in what I had to say about this subject. Well, I'd like to think some folks were interested, and in fact some were. They were even willing to leave their names and be accountable for what they said on the web.

Third: I was told I had to have a single, consistent theme for my blog, and update it regularly. Wow. I don't think my brain works like that. I have things to say that don't necessarily link up. I like to share things that fascinate me, things about me, things that piss me off, things that make me happy. In short, I decided that this blog is about: ME. And all the crazy, outrageous, silly, insightful things that make me tick, and besides, I want to be the world's cheerleader, too.

Anyone who's been around here long enough knows I love to build people up in their faith, in themselves and in their God. I also want people to get to know the person behind all these weird books that seem to keep people up till the wee hours until they fall asleep with their kindle or a paperback on their chest.

So yeah, this page is how you, the reader, can get to know me, the writer, as a person, and hopefully as a friend. We don't have enough real friends, none of us.

Fourth: This is a place of discourse. CIVIL discourse. I welcome opinions that differ from mine, as long as they are shared in a civil and respectful manner.

Comments are welcome, too. Feel free to let me know what you think. But leave your name, so we know who you are. In addition, don't feel bad if your comment doesn't appear right away. I personally moderate each comment left. Not that I want to filter out everyone who disagrees with me, but to stifle SPAM comments, and trolls.

So maybe my books sales aren't reflective of the quality of my work. I should probably do more self-promotion. But aside from the occasional sneak-peek or special, I think this is a place best reserved for friends to gather around the coffee table, munch on pastries, and share each others' lives.

So welcome to my blog. Come on in, take off your shoes. Have a seat by the hearth, after you grab something from the coffee cart.

Let friendship begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment